Damselfly or Dragonfly?

I'd just been born, and immediately flew, the feeling filling me with elation. I was above the lake, the waters of which I'd spent the bulk of my life in, nymphlike. Landing on an oar of a boat, I heard a faint voice of the woman rowing, say "Wow, Dragonflies everywhere! Aren't they gorgeous? Seems lucky somehow having them land there."

Her friend sighed. "Dragonflies are a symbol of transformation. They remind you to be light and joyful." She dipped her oar into the lake and splashed her, the merry squeal in response startling me as it rang out across the lake.

On the edge of a fishing boat, a boy saw me and asked, "Dad? Is a dragonfly good bait?"

"Son, fish love dragonflies, and there are a ton of lours that look just like 'em."

I flew on, the sun warm on my wings. When I landed on a Madrona leaf, an insect landed near me, with wings that stuck straight out on each side, a thick body, and eyes close together, with no space in between, like I had. 

"Good day, damselfly," the insect breathed before flying off. "You only have one, make the most of it."

Damselfly? Damselfly? Wait, am I a damselfly?

Last spring, writer Kate DiCamillo  recorded 12 brief 1-2 minute videos giving writers tips and assignments. One was to create five beginning sentences, take one and develop it, then on a different day rewrite it completely. The above page was my second attempt at a tiny story about a damselfly thinking she was a dragonfly based on everyone's misconceptions. The story below, was my first attempt. Which is better?

Once upon a tall reed, an insect was born.  She had already lived most of her life underwater as a nymph. With only several weeks, months to go, she couldn't wait to live her life in the air, buzzing about, being who she was. But who was she?

The first day she was born, her blue body was fainter then most blue bodies. A boy in a boat saw her and said, "Mom! It's a dragonfly!"

She landed on a fisherman's cap and heard, "Check out that dragonfly!" 

In the sky, flitting over the water, she saw lots of other insects just like her. 

She saw there was a dragonfly meeting at the Hollow stump. 

She hadn't even landed when a dragonfly near the entrance of the stump said, "Hey! Where do you think you're going?"

"To the dragonfly meeting."

"But you're not a dragonfly."

"I am! I have been, my whole adult life!"

The other insect chuckled, knowing that her whole adult life had really just started.

"Listen, check out your eyes," she looked in the reflection of the lake. "Two eyes, separated by some space. That's not how dragonflies eyes are."

"And check out your wings. They're against your body, not sticking out. Look at your body and my body. (Hers looked long and skinny, hi was thicker). You're a Bog Diver, you're not a Snake Doctor, like us. 

The insect fluttered away, weakly, feeling sad and sniffly, and because she thought she was one thing and now she didn't know who she was, she gobbled up her dinner of mosquitos with a mini moth for dessert then flew on. 

"You coming? We're late!" A friendly insect with eye like hers whizzed past. "Follow meeeee!"

"I'm coming," she said. As she flew, she saw dragonflies and damselflies zooming all over the place, all making the sky an exciting place to be, all eating mosquitoes, and living near an ecosystem that was healthy, not polluted. 

PS It is said that a Devil's Darning Needle sews the fingers or toes together of a person who goes to sleep within its reach. 

Comments