Paper Julias and Pedialyte


Lots going on, and yet nothing going on. We are on the verge of big things, as evidenced by Jooge's hugely emotional upheaval that has left me exhausted. There has been tons of crying, over big things, over little things. An example: crackers were just spilled on the carpet and I said,"I'll have to vacuum that." In response she began to cry, ran out of the room and screamed the words, "I don't like the noise! Crackers don't go in vacuums, they only go in bellies." She cried inconsolably for awhile. And then there's her sister, who likes to throw mini-tantrums (who am I kidding, they're really maxi-tantrums) when she doesn't get what she wants. Fun.

We just got through with another wicked virus, this time everyone caught it, first me, then the kids, then my husband. So. Again, more fun. I was so bummed. It messed with me so badly to have it again, especially to have had it myself first and to know how it felt. Today the baby's solid stool sent me into celebration mode. We'll be down for a few more days because I guess you can be contagious two weeks after the first symptoms start. I'm not gonna miss that mo fo of a virus AT ALL.

We have been dabbling in some art projects as of late. Aunt Jen got us some window markers that once in awhile make it out of the cupboard. In this instance they went back in pretty quickly after Jooge had painted her legs with the pink one and poked her sister in the eye with the yellow one. Also made a lovely Paper Julia yesterday, in an effort to again wean ourselves from hours and hours of T.V. It turned out great and then little sister began to rip off various appendages. It's all fun and games until Paper Julia loses one of her black legs. Good times.

Avery's not walking yet, but she's on the verge. Given her zest for mobility, I was sure she'd walk sooner than Jooge did, but it looks like they'll both be doing it around the thirteen month mark. As far as the sass factor, they are also very similar. When she's in her high chair and mommy says, "Avery, sit down." She responds with,"Nooo." (It comes out really nasally and funny.) She also is saying new words, like "KeeKee" for Kitty and she likes to climb up on the couch and bounce on or just lean up against the cushions.

Jooge is getting a real haircut on Tuesday with my hair babe Julie. That will be quite something. Should be interesting. We are coming prepared with a cupcake, so maybe it will go smoothly. We've been talking lots about it and I know she'll love Julie. However, I am mourning the loss of her beautiful long curls, even though they usually lurk below the surface of her top layer and give her hair a mangy appearance at times. I know that they can grow back and it will be best to have nothing on her neck through the heat of the summer. We had a 92 degree day last week (Yeah! I know, in May!) and it totally sucked. I will have to figure out lots of creative options for beating the heat with two little people in tow, (translate: no AC!) and placing them in our new Burley D'Lite probably doesn't qualify since I'm guessing it gets 10 degrees hotter inside the enclosure if you zip it up.

Speaking of fun in the sun, I am headed to L.A. in less than two weeks to hang out with one of my favorite people, my brother Andy, and his great girlfriend Meghann.
I can not wait. It could not be better timing for me to get away solo. My husband, bless his soul, is even taking Friday off so I can fly down Thursday night. In the meantime, it's crunch time for no more boob. The virus mucked up the weaning thing-we were basically down to once a day and then when she got sick I started nursing lots during the day because she just said no to pedialyte. I made it yesterday with no feedings but awoke in the night completely engorged and thankfully she woke up right around that time for her night feeding. (I like to sing that part in the tune of "Night Swimming" by R.E.M..)

Lots going on. Nothing going on. The calm before the storm. The mild weather before the heat. From our little virus-free corner to yours...Happy day!

Comments