I spoted Miss Suzy, by Miram Young last week at Powells. I'm glad I did because what a sweet story.

I wish I would have read this book back when I was a kid. I would have loved it because any book with miniature cozy houses in trees instantly appealed to me. I would have also loved the main character, a squirrel named Miss Suzy. I wrote stories about squirrels like this when I was in second grade, so maybe I did read this book but just don't remember. Anyway, she is a fastidious little creature who enjoys her cozy, clean space high in a tree. Unfortunately some naughty red squirrels threaten her independent tranquility, and the story that follows shows how she manages to return to the life that pleases her. Miss Suzy has a neat message about how simple things can be just as satisfying as bigger, shinier things. Julia said, "I liked that the squirrel saved these tin soldiers." (pointing to the cover). Hope we haven't given too much away. Check it out!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, I have this book from my childhood. It was one of my favorites and now my children love it! Isn't it just the best when you rediscover something that you liked as a child and find that the appeal spans the generations?! Glad to see you found the glasses, too.

Sally