Saying It


"Love, also disappearing, would like to tap the two murmuring ones on the shoulder. Love would like to say to them, 'Speak more fearlessly-this is the only-say what you can.'" -From The Silence by Jane Hirshfield

I've been thinking a lot about courage, and specifically the courage to say things to the people I love. It's something I've always struggled with. There are things I wish I would have said to my dad, but that I did not, and he's gone. Sure, I can get them out still somehow, but the words that might have repaired parts of our relationship or coaxed out what I needed and deserved, remain stuck in a moment that's gone. Now, my relationships with everyone seem precious. John Mayer's song, "Say" came on the radio the other day exactly when I was thinking about this...

"Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You better know that in the end
It’s better to say too much
Than never to say what you need to say again

Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open"

Anais Nin said, "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage." What have you been waiting to say to someone that can't wait any longer?

Comments