Here the girls wear the new hats I knit for each of them this week. They were the only things I made them this year during a time when I am typically inspired to create something for them that will go under the tree. Here there are all sorts of ideas for things parents can make for their kids for Christmas. I starting clicking away and it made me tired looking at them all. Creative projects do not beckon to me now. I just want to be cozy and peaceful. All I had in me this year as far as creating for them was to knit them hats, and I honestly feel fine about that. That's where I'm at this year.

In other news, we went to the cabin yesterday for what was supposed to be a two night stay. I had worried about the possiblity of finding it with burst pipes and water-logged after the recent really cold weather. For some reason when we left it for Thanksgiving we hadn't done any weatherizing. Still, it felt so good to drive up the driveway and be there, but when we got inside it was bad. There was a terrible smell, we saw that a big section of the kitchen ceiling's sheetrock had caved in, there was water everywhere, and plops of insulation and mouse poop and even a dead mouse. The whole ground level carpet was completely satured, and another bedroom on the first level had completely spongy wet carpet, too. I don't know what exactly the extent of the damage will be, but there was definitely plumbing problems and water sitting everywhere. I had to call my mom, who was on route to L.A. to spend Christmas with Andy and Meghann to give her the scoop. It was bad enough that there wasn't much we could do, other than try to call her insurance company for her and turn the water off. I hate that it's sitting there stewing in water and filth and that my mom has this to worry about. It's all a big huge sucko sandwich.

We piled back in the car without even a trip around the trail and headed home. Total time in the car: five hours. The shock and size of it all left us resolute but by the end of the day grumpiness set in. I soothed myself by watching The Holiday which I'd tivo'd. Maybe it was because of the long day I'd had but Cameron Diaz was SUPER annoying during this viewing, FOR SURE.

Today, we went to see The Princess and the Frog as a family. The girls were swooning over it and I got choked up when the firefly character....well, I won't ruin it for you. Classic Disney.

Comments