This spring I was supposed to be hunting down a teaching job for next fall. That was the plan, but you know what happens to plans when you try and make them. All these years I've been home with the kids I've checked the job postings and wanted to apply but didn't because it wasn't the time. Now I don't expect to see ANY job openings because of the local districts shortfalls. 25 million dollar cuts do not mean openings, they mean closings. Odd that this is where I find myself when I thought I'd be preparing to go back to work.

In the meantime, one thing that has been exercising my teacher muscle is that I've been tutoring my friend's third grade daughter in reading and math. I never had tutored before and it has turned out to be great. I'm really glad I'm doing it. I think it's going to be a good way to be a teacher even when I can't. What kid can't benefit from one on one help with topics they need help to master?

The eventual teaching job is out there looming and I'll find it, even if it takes a few years. My licensure will allow that and I don't HAVE to work, which makes it nice. I'm going to be ready to go back- being off for seven years seems a long enough time to be out of the loop. I have new things to learn! I have to brush up on my SKILLZ!

If I had to create the perfect teaching job it would be at a school like The Opal School and it would a job share so that I taught every morning. Beggars can't be choosers though and I'm open to subbing. We shall see...

Comments